Monday, February 13, 2012

Birthday Surprise


I don't consider myself much of a surprise person but I recently did a birthday surprise via the mail for my dear friend Nicole who was turning 30. It was so much fun to organize that my head is spinning with ideas for who I want to do it to next! I originally found the idea right here at Inchmark. To make it happen, I did a few hours of research on Facebook to contact what appeared to be Nicole's 30 or so closest friends and family. (I made my decisions based on who commented on her posts most frequently, who had given her heart felt Facebook birthday
wishes in past years and also who was tagged in her oldest photos. Also, can I just say it is awesome you can send a message to someone on Facebook without actually being their friend? This would have been so much harder had that not been possible!) Anyway, after I gathered the names and addresses (it took about three weeks to hunt everyone down) I designed postcards in Publisher with the numbers 1-30 in different colors and fonts. I printed them on 8.5 x 11 110 lb. cardstock, four postcards to a page. Since I ended up having more than 30 people get back to me, I also made some extra postcards with various greetings like "Happy Birthday" and "The World is Way Cooler With You In It!" I think it would also be make a big impact to make all the postcards the same number (in Nicole's case the number 30) or postcards with funny quotes about getting older. Just a thought.)

The backs of the postcards were left blank for friends and family to write their heartfelt wishes but I did pre-address and stamp each one to make it easier. I then sent Nicole's favorite peeps a blank postcard along with a little note with instructions:

I hope Nicole enjoyed reading all her birthday wishes as much as I enjoyed connecting with all her friends and family to put the surprise together! Once again, all the original design and content ideas were found here. I was also inspired by these other great postcard birthday surprise ideas here and here.


7 comments:

kcb said...

what a fabulous idea. nicole will be thrilled, no doubt. and the design is rockin'! way to go kim!

Anonymous said...

You must be running on solar power these days ! that was lovingly ambitious.

Vanessa said...

That is so rad! you are such a good friend :)

Nicole Harris said...

you are an Amazing friend and this was just, once again, proof that there are remarkable hearts out there like yours!!! God blessed me, to have you as my dear friend!!! This is legendary :) you, are, the, best!!!

Ruth said...

You are so creative and the nicest friend! Love this idea!

Anonymous said...

How long did it take to put this together?

Kim said...

Doing the research and gathering names and addresses from Facebook and other sources was the most time consuming part. I started a month before her birthday contacting friends and relatives who could provide info for additional friends and relatives. Designing the postcards took an additional 2-3 hours. Hope this helps. Have fun!