Tuesday, August 31, 2010

Black Flats

As my 30th birthday approaches, I have come to the realization life is way too short to wear uncomfortable shoes. Especially flats. Really. I am still trying to figure out the mystery as to why most flats are extremely uncomfortable. Maybe I'm too finicky but the flats I've tried on are always WAY too wide and either too big (so my heel slips out when I walk) or too small (so my big toe is smooshed to the front.) Also, how hard is it to put a little cushion and some arch support in a shoe? With that said, I am in need of a new pair of basic black flats. I feel they are a chic alternative to tennis shoes for running errands and the like. Since I spent a lot of time searching, I figured I'd share a few comfy options I found on-line in case you are in the same predicament:1. Ruby&Bloom, found here.
2. Cole Haan, found here.
3. Puma, found here and here.
4. Calvin Klein, found here.
5. Born, found here.
6. J.Crew, found here.

Apparently a little comfort comes with a hefty price tag. Aside from a pair of Doc Martins I bought in high school, I don't think I've ever spent more than $50 for shoes. What are your thoughts? Do you think a comfortable shoe is worth the higher price tag? I'm curious to know your thoughts on the subject.

3 comments:

Miss Mary said...

I have the same problem. It's soooo hard to find comfortable flats. All the same problems - not enough toe room, not enough cushion and support, and slipping off. Unfortunatley, anything I have found that fits comfortably is more expensive. However, when I have purchased inexpensive and not so comfortable shoes, my feet will hurt so badly that I only end up wearing them a few times and then they sit in my closet. So initially you spend less, but in the long run you end up spending more for inexpensive shoes, becuase you spend money on something that you don't use. So, if I spend more for a really good shoe and wear it so much that I wear it out, my money what put to good use.

Nicole Harris said...

you've got me liking those Calvin's ...hmmm... you may have hooked me in for the sale!

flats, I believe are something you usually do have to pay more for, because it seems that leather is the most comfy option or a really good knock of leather feel (which is usually more $), that way they last and are soft and comfy. I've tried so many plasticy ones and they dig in, slip off, and end up smelling wierd in the inside because they aren't "odor absorbant" or whatever...just my two cents ;)

Autumn said...

I pick #3. I LOVE strawberry spinach salad. Fun summer pix.